Friday, May 10, 2019

Happy Rainy Friday!
As you all know, the big news this week has been the SBAC testing. I talked to the class a lot about perseverance, and I am pleased with how hard they seem to be working on these tests!  As I walked around the room today, I saw evidence of so much learning -- some were writing essays with a thesis, others were writing narrative stories with characters and settings, and still others were writing informational pieces with sub headings and other text features. I am so proud of their grit and their learning! Not all are finished with Language Arts yet, so I think we will try to squeeze another hour in early next week so we get a break before starting our math testing.  This too shall pass!

The other big news of the week is our Vermont history musical. We are starting to work on set design and props and costumes, and we are beginning to rehearse little scenes. It should be a blast to watch! I hope some of you can send in some of what I requested in my email -- it takes a village to put on a play!

In academic news, we continue to work on strategies for solving double digit multiplication problems and some long division problems. Ask your kids to show you how we use "Menu Division" to solve division problems!  They are like sponges -- soaking up the new learning quickly and seeming excited about it all!  We are also continuing to learn about geology and plate tectonics. The kids are understanding how earthquakes and mountains are formed as well as various theories about the layers of the earth.

Thank you all so much for your generous contributions to all the delicious food that has been here for Teacher Appreciation Week. I certainly feel appreciated -- and stuffed!

Thanks also to all of you who have volunteered to chaperone our rafting trip. If it ever stops raining, it should be a fabulous and memorable day for all!

Enjoy your weekend, and as always, let me know if  you have questions or concerns about anything happening in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment